Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Crochet Classes are almost ready!

I am so excited about teaching the crochet classes at Trainfest. I'm just about all set. I have a lesson plan and I'm now thinking of someone to practice on. I think it would be a good idea to practice. I'm going to be hunting out some balls of yarn and making sure that I have enough of the right colors (solid colors, light but not white) and the right weight. I'm also going to hunt out all of my hooks and pack up my extras with the yarn and stuff I intend to take. I want to have extra hooks in case I have some that didn't get or forgot to bring their own hooks

I read a post to my CrochetPartners group that asked for crochet instructions to use for teaching a beginner class. The answer than I read pointed out the Craft Yarn Council of America's "Each One Teach Two" program. Not only are there really good diagrams and instructions to use for a beginner crochet class, there is also a certificate to print out to give to the students. I am so excited about that. So not only will my beginning crochet students get a Ghoul Scout SWAP to take home with them, they will also get a certificate saying they successfully learned to crochet! Groovy :D

For my advanced beginner crochet class I'll need to do more prep. I've got a lesson plan and I want to practice it too. However, the project for that class is using plarn (cutting plastic grocery bags into strips to use as yarn) to make a water bottle holder. I thought about using different colors of bags for each ball of plarn I make, but Mama suggested using the different colors in each ball to make variegated, maybe even striping patterns. I need to hurry up and finish those necklaces so I can play around with that idea and see what I like.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to make the plarn-making a family affair. I know I can get Dorinda and Stephen to help with the folding and cutting. I might even be able to get Steve amd Stephen to help with the joining and then Steve, Gideon and Stephen to help with the winding.

No comments: