Friday, October 26, 2007

Busy As A Bee

For a change, I've been rather busy in the past 2 or 3 weeks. The beginning of the month was horrid. I was sick for almost 2 weeks, being misdiagnosed as having the flu when I really needed an antibiotic. So, I didn't get a whole lot of stitching done then because the wrapping of the yarn and the way the fibers twisted made me queasy (who'd a thunk it). Anywho, I did get more scarves done before I got sick. I was able to get 6 whole scarves done, see:


They were wonderful to make. As I think I said before, I never have really much cared for making scarves in the past because I would make them about 40 or 50 stitches wide and it would take forever to get them long enough to suit me because I have always wrapped my scarf around my head and neck. So, I have never believed the people on the various groups I belong to when they said that scarves were so easy and fast to make. Well, this time I decided I was going to try making a scarf lengthwise instead of widthwise. Each of my scarves for this year's challenge is 200 stitches long. I also opted for more open patterns. They are each very warm and cozy and I still can't believe I was able to whip them up so quickly. I only did one with fringe as you can see. I'm not a big fan of fringe. It looks nice at first, but the washer tends to end that pretty fast. I did do a picot edging around the yellow one and a border around the purple one.

I really enjoyed making those scarves and they are now at our local Christian ministry awaiting new homes.


My other project has been ghosts for each of the girls in my daughter's Girl Scout troop. We are actually 2 sister troops, 1 Brownie troop (my daughter's troop) and 1 Junior troop. I designed a little ghost that I have dubbed a "Ghoul Scout". I made one for each girl and leader, and as you can see, the Brownies have brown sashes and the Juniors have dark green sashes. The leaders have light green sashes because I seem to remember leader shirts with pale green pin stripes on them from years ago, but that may have been Boy Scouts. Anywho, what do you think?

We're helping with the Halloween carnival at the community center where we have our meetings. We'll be decorating the different rooms where the games and such will be held and we will also be helping man the stations during the actual event.

Each girl that shows will receive a ghost and be able to proudly wear their "ghoul scouts" to show their participation in our service project. I do hope they like them. I also hope like everything that I made enough. I know we have about thirty girls, so I divided up the green and brown sashes and made equal numbers of those. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm still plugging away at the gift afghan. I now have 4 complete strips joined together and I have 2 blocks completed on a fifth. I started the third block yesterday which I will be finishing today. I hope to get another one done later this evening.

2 comments:

Lesalicious said...

WOW you been very busy. Great job on all your projects love the ghosts.:)

Salin Low said...

Your scarves are great. Would you share the patterns for the yellow and purple ones?