Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fresh off my hook :-)

I just finished the baby afghan I have been working on for my sons' martial arts teacher.

I chose the "Adoring Hearts" pattern for 2 reasons. One, because hearts are the universal symbol for love and every baby should be surrounded by love. Two, because the Boljacks' have decided to wait until the blessed event to find out if they are having a boy or a girl. This way, I've covered all the bases. I chose to use a rainbow theme for much the same reason as Number 2 of the pattern choice. And, finally, I chose primary colors because I believe that babies, especially first borns, are surrounded with pastels and while that may be to promote calm or whatever, I feel that there ought to be a touch of bright colors somewhere along the way.

It turned out to be a little bit bigger than I had anticipated. It is 39x43 inches. I had originally envisioned a bassinet-sized version, but it kind of expanded on me. That's okay though. Kids need plenty of room to grow :-D

I used Red Heart Super Saver throughout. The colors I used are: Cherry Red, Pumpkin, Bright Yellow, Paddy Green, Royal Blue (I think), and Amethyst. I used (for the first time) a Clover bamboo hook, size H for the squares and a Boye hook, size G for the border. I whipstitched the squares together as I went and I used a back-loop only single crochet for the border. I separated the colors in the border with white because I didn't want the border to take away from the design of the body of the afghan. I am rather proud of it.

No comments: