Saturday, August 27, 2005

Crocheted Runes


It is amazing that no matter what I"m reading, when the word "crochet" is there it immediately draws my attention. I was reading an article on runes and seeing the word "crochet" stopped where I was reading and my eyes went straight to that word and started reading from there. It was directions on how to make a set of crocheted runes using size 10 thread. Well, I thought I'd give it try. Boy, was that square tiny. And you had to make 2 of them and slip stitch them together?! There was no way I could do that; they were just too small. Well, about a year or so later I'm sitting here trying to find something new to crochet and happened to remember the directions for the runes. So I dig through the yarn that I inherited from my mother-in-law and lo and behold I found a misty sort of blue. I tried out the square and TA-DA!! I had a size I liked as well as a color. Instead of making 2 separate squares though, I did a row of back loop only into the last row of the square and then completed the second square from there. That gave me both squares connected by a sort of hinge that I could use to just fold the thing in half. I used a sunny yellow to back stitch the design on one half of the rectangle, folded it in half and slip stitched the 3 sides closed. I'm looking forward to having a whole set made (along with a bag to put them in, of course!) :) I'll post pictures of the whole set as soon as I get them done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your project is very interesting and unique. Thanks for sharing!