Tuesday, December 14, 2010

From Hooks to Needles

I decided to try my hand at sock knitting. I haven't been able to do anything with a crochet hook lately. I pick up some yarn and a hook and blah! I stitch, I frog. I stitch, I frog. So I decided to try out the sock yarn that I've been looking at for the last couple of months.

I found some purple (my favorite!) self-striping sock yarn that I liked a couple of months ago for my birthday and even bought a book called Learn to Knit Socks by Edie Eckman. It has a very basic ankle sock that I thought would be perfect for my first attempt. So last weekend I sat down with my needles--yes, double point needles-- and got started. It took me three evenings to do it, but last night I completed my first sock!


I should have made it about an inch longer and I think I should have reversed the decreases since I'm working left-handed, but overall I am tickled! I started the mate to it this morning and am getting ready to work on it some more. I hope to have it done by Monday!

I would like to dedicate this pair of socks to my Great-Aunt Jane. Who I grew up hearing stories about the tick, tick, tick of her needles to outfit her babies with plenty of warm winter wear :D I hope to learn some of the finer points of knitting from her.

No comments: