Sunday, January 29, 2012

Herrschners Afghan Contest

I have decided to enter Herrschner's annual afghan contest. I'm re-trying a pattern I first came up with 5 or 6 years ago. I couldn't get it the way I wanted it then. I wasn't at the skill level I am now and I didn't know the first thing about pattern design on that kind of scale. I'm ready now, I think.

I've been using yarn from my scrap stash to work out the pattern and get it the way I want it. Hubby's been a huge help! He's the one that inspired the design and he's been helping me tweak it. I've done 2 practice swatches and gotten the pattern right and the border the way I want it. I also found that the yarn and hook I was using is the right choice for the job :)

So, all I had left was to choose the final colors and get to work. I chose Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight yarn in Aruba Sea and Real Teal. This yarn has enough body to keep my ghan from being too floppy. I'm using my CGOA 2009 commorative hook. It's a size H. That size hook makes a firm enough fabric to hold the pattern properly and loose enough to give the afghan the drape I want.

I'm looking forward to making this afghan. Working on it is going to be fun. I always love to watch a pattern transform what is essentially a single strand of yarn (albeit a very long strand) in to a beautiful and useful item that will provide comfort and add beauty to someone's life.

No comments: